May 19, 2016

I was planning on being a jockey.





My life does not look like I thought it would. 








I was planning on being a jockey. 

I always dressed like one on career day. and I subscribed to Horse Illustrated magazine. I picked out saddle pads and lead ropes on a regular basis and assumed that when you got old enough you could have all of the things in catalogues that you dreamed about having. 


On the side, I was going to be a vet. also. 




And then I was getting married after college and naming about five babies.

Many of my major life decisions were to be made before I turned 23.





____________________________________





Somewhere in middle or high school I started making a lot of art.
When I was in elementary school I loved it.
but I mostly loved thinking of projects over an extended period of time. I loved problem solving and inventing.

I had a more mature grasp on the concept of art than I knew.
that it isn't just any one thing.

_____________


In elementary school you started something on a Friday in art class and then waited until the next Friday to continue the project. It was painful to leave something like that for a whole week and I was always super anxious to get back in there and work on it. 

Elizabeth Barron was better than me at drawing, so I didn't identify as an artist specifically. 

I identified as weird. and excited.


My dad told me that was cool.
and to do the thing no one else was doing was maybe even cooler.  If it was honorable or interesting.


That is why when we were in fifth grade and you chose a color t shirt for graduation I waited until everyone chose their color. and then I picked orange. 


Only orange one.





____________________________________________


The issue I have now is that while I identify as an artist, I still love so many things.


On the contrary, because I identify as an artist. This is not an issue.

or. it sort of is. because time is.




(when people relate to your work. it's the best)
______________________________________________



I spend a lot of time working in the company of students and adults who have special needs. My capacity is as a teacher or artist or art collaborator.  This means a lot of my work life is in an honest and authentic environment. I am very blessed because of this.

Also, this means a lot of my work is pretty sacred. And what I mean by that is I get to be involved in pretty amazing lives and in pretty neat ways.

I think all teachers do sacred work. by the way.

Other jobs share this attribute too, like nurses. hey nurses!

It is from this sacred place that I find the meaning and the purpose in the work that I do.

It is where illustration meets energy and sculpture meets heart and painting meets pain.



 my work, it becomes valuable in a new way.


MILK RIVER ARTS


 MILK RIVER ARTS




______________________________________________

I also spend a lot of time in the company of collaborators and makers.

For this I am also blessed.






student work for LIVE ART: BLUE



(And if this were a script, the direction right here would say:  pull handful of sequins out of backpack and throw forward.)


_______________________________________________

________________________________________________


The most important thing I can tell you about right now is that LIVE ART is having its fourth show on JUNE 5.




And if it is possible to go, go.

Here is a link for ticket purchase.

Your tickets help fund this TUITION FREE program for students with and without special needs.

This program that is an opportunity for students of all abilities to feel what it is like to be heard, seen, and celebrated
for their talents, willingness, energy, spirit, and ----geez whenever I get going it sounds like I am sugar coating something but if you saw it you would realize. yeah.

ok she's right.

and you would realize that YOU need to see it. specifically YOU.


Go see it. Even if it is because I have mentioned it every year and you are the tiniest bit curious.

also we sell out which is wonderful. but I want everyone to see it, so get your ticket today. It is filling up.

____________

My spring semester in sign language interpreting school is done. woo.
and summer semester is now starting.

school keeps me from staying more up to date on here.

There are seasons in life where documentation is possible. and then there are seasons in life where I am eating Lucky Charms at 1 am.

---------------------------------

I am on the floor taking a break from set painting for LIVE ART: BLUE.





I am not a jockey.


I really thought I was going to be one.

_________________________________________________










No comments:

i love music. almost more than everything.