July 6, 2011

dance in the store. especially if your song is on. and other ways to appreciate the day.







______________________________________________________

There is a Lucky Charm-esque cereal out there doing business under the name 

Marshmallow Treasures. 

You need to be aware. 


because.

Consumer alert: 
All of those marshmallows at the top. That's it.

They do not continue like that down to the bottom. 


I had 2 minutes of naive joy when I opened that box of gems.

_______________________________________________________




I had to get that cereal because it was on mega sale and I was starving. 
and ate one third of the box on the way home.

( if I said "I ate half the box" it would have been a lie. so I told the exact truth) 

yes.
I am an artist. and sometimes I am starving...


and in a moment of weakness. ( or power. you decide) I did that.

strange how a marshmallow cereal can make me feel very alive. 

________________________________________________________


But it is a state of mind.


and when I walked past a copy of Peter Pan... I opened it. and adored the first page all over again.



 so many literary characters fascinate me and warm my heart.

soak this up:



All children, except one, grow up. They soon know that they will grow up, and the way Wendy knew was this. One day when she was two years old she was playing in a garden, and she plucked another flower and ran with it to her mother. I suppose she must have looked rather delightful, for Mrs. Darling put her hand to her heart and cried, "Oh, why can't you remain like this for ever!" This was all that passed between them on the subject, but henceforth Wendy knew that she must grow up. You always know after you are two. Two is the beginning of the end.


- Peter Pan
by J.M. Barrie


_______________________________________________________



Time is fleeting.


And recently. I vowed to stop wishing for Fridays. Although today (Friday!)  is lovely. and will probably involve capers. or coffee. or some sort of outdoor lit patio. or all of the above.

And it will most definitely involve paint. and my studio. and a hardware store.

as I plan for a camp in the mountains later this month.


MAD Camp. (click here to see MAD flashbacks.)




______________________________________________________

and so, yesterday. I was acting on this new plan. which becomes a plan often. and I follow it until I realize I am wishing for the weekend. or wishing time away in general. 


ew. dislike.


but yesterday was fantastic.








because one of my songs came on in a store. and I danced. full out. with my 2 yr old accomplice that I nanny. while her 6 month old brother laughed and smiled. 

And we spent our day traipsing around town and stopping at every fountain. and screaming wooooooooo when we drove over the river. 

because 


we were driving over the river.


wooooo.

 she points things out that are seriously worth getting excited about.

And. 

the song. was Lenka's THE SHOW
(click on the link. but do come back.)

which is screaming my motto.

 ______________________________________________________


it isn't always easy.
it takes effort.


like when I'm running sometimes and my mind starts to drift...maybe even worry. or overthink...




 I hear my feet 




and it suddenly feels harder to keep going. 
I realize I'm not absorbing the moment. 





so I drag my hand along the white brick walls and iron gates. and jump for low hanging leaves and branches. 


because if you touch it. you can't be anywhere else.






and I smell the backyard grills. or the coffee from the porch drinking society members. 




I spy something....green. seriously. holy cow.




or smile at the young girls who live across from the elementary school and are always up to something absolutely thrilling                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

They remind me of me. 


when I was 


creating entire bicycle cities in my backyard 
out of scraps of wood. limbs. leaves. trashcans. rakes. and whatever else was around.
complete with highways. bakeries and post offices. 

and working like a dog until dark.  with summer all over my skin.


They are too.






_________________________________________________________




Hopefully forever.



_________________________________________________________









No comments:

i love music. almost more than everything.