January 17, 2011

Do something.



So, I've been sick. 

The kind that sounds dumb. the kind that is really no big deal- 

I have a cold. 

But woah. colds can be fierce. and I believe there is a cold scale.


they range from 1- "can I borrow a tissue?"

to 10- "I will NEVER get well. just cut off my head I am nauseated and miserable and barely able to function/ my throat is on fire!"


In an attempt to play it cool, I am somewhere in the middle (with a desire to define my state of being closer to 10. sh)


I have literally had 6 popsicles today. This was practicing restraint.
____________________________________________________


So, in more important news,  there is a lot of business to get to. And I am very excited and inspired for a week of concentration on a new series.

A series that will be released in March. 

SNEAK PEEK




_______________________________________________________





But, the purpose of this post today is to honor the spirit of

one of my favorite people that ever lived. 



MARTIN LUTHER KING JR.






_______________________________________________________





To me, the lowest day of life. That would be a day in which you do not dream. 


when you have nothing to reach for. 


when you stand still. 








___________________________________________________________________




I am empowered by the words of this man. 

I am moved by his faith. passion. eloquence. and bravery.

His sermons are beautiful.



He is one person that inspires my work.


So, in honor, 

Here is a tribute to some of his brilliant and wise thoughts of peace and justice.


*It is very hard for me to edit this post.
 And I want to add the disclaimer that I will not be including everything I wish I could.

___________________________________________________________________




from his sermon,  Paul's Letter to American Christians, November, 4, 1956:

(this sermon written by King is in the form of an imaginary letter written by the Apostle Paul)

Never succumb to the temptation of becoming bitter. As you press on for justice, be sure to move with dignity and discipline, using only the weapon of love. Let no man pull you so low as to hate him. Always avoid violence. If you succumb to the temptation of using violence in your struggle, unborn generations will be the recipients of a long and desolate night of bitterness, and your chief legacy to the future will be an endless reign of meaningless chaos.


I think about such words when political struggles become angry. 
When they become about opposition and "winning": as a party- instead of as a people.


Because most of us agree. But unfortunately, we hold onto ideas that there should be some major division. 

That the justification of our side is the presence of an opposing side.


As one side gets "ahead", the other is fired up. As the other is "ahead", the first is fired up. 

.....

Let us always be fired up. 

but for justice.      Not by anger.


________________________________________________________


In times where you may have been oppressed or witnessed oppression. In times that seem unforgivable,
King says-

In your struggle for justice, let your oppressor know that you are not attempting to defeat or humiliate him, or even to pay him back for injustices that he has heaped upon you. Let him know that you are merely seeking justice for him as well as yourself. 


___________________________________________________________


And remember, these are words from King, but they are written as if from the Apostle Paul~


Honesty impels me to admit that such a stand will require willingness to suffer and sacrifice. So don't despair if you are condemned and persecuted for righteousness' sake. Whenever you take a stand for truth and justice, you are liable to scorn. Often you will be called an impractical idealist or a dangerous radical. 

....

Don't worry about persecution America; you are going to have that if you stand up for a great principle. I can say this with some authority, because my life was a continual round of persecutions.

_______________________________________


I don't profess to always be right. 

or to always do right.




But I love the words of this man. I love what he stands for. and I am moved by him. 




So let these words from Martin Luther King move you today - 

from “The Drum Major Instinct"
4 February 1968

And so Jesus gave us a new norm of greatness. If you want to be important—wonderful. If you want to be recognized—wonderful. If you want to be great—wonderful. But recognize that he who is greatest among you shall be your servant. (Amen) That's a new definition of greatness.

And this morning, the thing that I like about it: by giving that definition of greatness, it means that everybody can be great, (Everybody) because everybody can serve. (Amen) You don't have to have a college degree to serve. (All right) You don't have to make your subject and your verb agree to serve. You don't have to know about Plato and Aristotle to serve. You don't have to know Einstein's theory of relativity to serve. You don't have to know the second theory of thermodynamics in physics to serve. (Amen) You only need a heart full of grace, (Yes, sir, Amen) a soul generated by love. (Yes) And you can be that servant.


_________________________________________



and whatever you dream. 

dream on.

but, yes, dream.



________________________________________________________________

No comments:

i love music. almost more than everything.