March 13, 2010

Carousel Celebration




One in a series of drawings.

 Look closely for stitches. 





I break a lot of sewing machine needles. and every time I do this, I think it is the end of the world. For what reason I don't know. It's just that when the needle on the sewing machine breaks, you have to stop your entire plan and replace it. 

It is always something with a sewing machine. 

If you sew, you know what I am talking about. The whole " Oh great I have one more thing to do then I will be done with.."....THUMP.   The machine halts and makes that buzz sound as if it is completely ruined on the inside and every time you press the pedal, you are making some giant knot of thread and machine parts worse and worse. 

It is a growl that the machine makes. Part angry. Part mocking.

But in reality. when I chill. take a breather. and open the machine up... usually the fix takes a matter of minutes. Ok... usually.  not always.

Don't get me wrong. I hateeeee when this happens. and it always does. There is no telling when you will finish a project of any sort, because inevitably, the machine will eat something, break, stop moving etc. 

But, the truth is, I can fix it. So far, I always have. Even if it once meant meeting my mother across town in a dark parking lot at 1 am because the next day I was driving to NY with theater pieces and the machine needed a part she happened to locate from a dear friend.

Thank goodness for mothers that rule at life and understand what is important. 

This is the same mother that slept on our couch at home until I was done with a term paper in high school. Because at our house, there was no printer.  And, when you finished a paper at 3 am, she would rise up off the couch and drive you to the all night Kinkos copy center to print out the paper. 

Im lucky. 

so I celebrate these things. With new collections. Like this. 

The Carousel Collection.

 




1 comment:

kristin said...

There are several things that need to be said...

First, I absolutely love the way you quilted fabric onto this drawing. The texture must be beautiful.

Second, it's about time someone wrote about the anguish of breaking sewing needles! It always happens to me when my face is dangerously close to the foot. I'm lucky to still have both eyes.

Third, I love you're mother. And that story about going to Kinko's in the middle of the night is my favorite. Yay for your mom. Wooooot!

i love music. almost more than everything.